Monday, September 24, 2012

here comes the sun...


Image Home and Leisure
Is there anything more aesthetically fabulous yet functional than the humble awning?

Awnings have come a long way since Eyptians used woven mats to protect their market stalls and homes from the elements yet the original purpose remains the same centuries later, to protect from the rain and provide shade from the sun.

Let's take a look at some of my favourites.

The classic timeless stripe.


Image Australian Country Style
Image Meg Braff

Image Ron Gunzberger Flickr
Image Perfectly Poolside

From caravans to cash wash, the awning adds such a fun element.

Image via Cote de Texas
Car Wash in Montana USA Image Adam Glab Flickr
Awnings around the globe.

Image Barney's New York
Image Givenchy Paris
Image Harrods London
Solid coloured awnings.

Image via The Decorista
Image unknown
Image Demystifying Design
Here's a clever cheat sheet to help you with awning options.

Image Thomas Shade Inc
Favourite store fronts.

Image Collette Dinnigan Melbourne
Image Magnolia Interiors Brisbane
Image Black & Spiro Brisbane
and finally my all time favourite dream store front of Liz Caan.  This little image sits on my inspiration board above my desk at work.  It makes me smile - lots.

Image Liz Caan

Have a colour filled day...

2 comments:

  1. We're wanting to put up an awning at our place, so this post is perfect timing, I'll be able to show hubby. I love the first and last photos, exactly what I want. x

    ReplyDelete
  2. lalalala . . That's me finishing the song! Great post- big fan of awnings. I have a black & white scallop but since seeing your pics I like the solid navy with the thick white edge better. Sadly I find the awning companies a little less adventurous/design savvy than I would like! lovT
    www.ladychatterleysaffair.com

    ReplyDelete